The Golf Mahal

Featuring: Golf Mahal

Levi-for-Blog-959

The first thing that one sees when the bag is closed is what I call the Darth Vader Mask. This is a source of much rejoicing, specifically for coastal and mountain golfers that aren’t afraid to play in the elements, but really for all tournament golfers that have had to play in the rain at one point or another with a bag that didn’t cut the mustard. The lid entirely covers the mouth of the pack and has rain gutters that extend down the sides so as to keep out rain, sleet, or snow (and whatever else Mother Nature might have up here sleeve depending on where you play).

Levi-for-Blog-960

This will keep dry those of your precious children you have chosen to live in the main compartment of the bag, but don’t worry about your babies – they are safe and sound in the rain fly that extends to keep those putters of yours nice and dry, and as an added precaution you can buckle them in at the base of the bag, locking in the rain fly.

Levi-for-Blog-957

How many discs can YOU carry?

Though the Golf Mahal has water bottle pockets on either side that hold even the largest of water bottles/drinking vessels and are easily accessed while walking the fairways, the bag is set up for hydration, namely a hydration system. One can easily fit any size bladder in the side compartment, and with this pictured 2 liter/70 ounce bladder there is plenty of room for whatever else you might want to store above your water. The hose of the bladder runs directly through a velcro loop as it comes out of the side compartment and continues through a piece of elastic at the top of the shoulder pad and then through what we call an egg roll (aka hose holder). This will keep your mouth piece off the ground and in your mouth, a phenomenon that will have you drinking a hell of a lot more water than you would expect, in turn keeping you hydrated and increasing your performance.

Levi-for-Blog-956

Golf Mahal detail shot

When the Darth Vader Mask is unveiled, it reveals a main compartment that can hold anywhere from 15 to 20 discs depending on your concoction of drivers, mids, and putters (here I have 6 mids and 11 drivers to make 17 discs). Though in this current model the lid then stores in the zippered pocket above the discs, the final model will roll and velcro above what will then become a score card pocket that will be made from a clear vinyl material, so as to allow viewing and rain protection even with the lid open. The unveiling of the mask also reveals the putter pocket, which nicely holds two, and the mini pocket which will hold even xl minis.

The large side compartments are not only your ticket to hydrationville, but can also store anywhere from 7 (all mids) to 10 (all drivers) more discs per compartment. This pushes the maximum disc capacity of the lavish Golf Mahal beyond even Feldberg status to just over a whopping 40 discs. Though one might say that this is unnecessary, that this is a feat of ridiculous proportions, that one could never possibly use so many discs, that you’d be insane to lug such a load, I say to you, “Try it on!” Once you put the Golf Mahal on your back, even with 40+ discs, you’ll be a believer, a man, or woman, of the Mystery Ranch Cloth so to speak (well, actually in this case it’s mostly 1000 denier nylon and a sweet 500 denier nylon laminate called X-Ply, but you’ll be preachin’ the truth nonetheless).

If there’s one thing that the Mystery Ranch has that no other pack company in the world can compete with it’s our harnessing system. The web site has plenty more on this, so in brief, the bag is comfy as hell, and contains a yoke system (aka the piece that the shoulder pads are attached to) that telescopes up and down to fit any size torso, creating a near perfect fit for any size person.

But, returning to the large side compartments, note the 2 black compression straps that run the width of the pockets. This means that if and when your name isn’t Feldberg you can make the compartments simply disappear, creating a sleek, slim line pack that will still hold 20ish discs. In all seriousness though, I know there are many of you out there that will want to hold more discs than will fit in the main compartment and these side compartments will allow for that overflow. Also, it’s great to be able to load this thing to the guns and take it out to a field, or to the course, for practicing purposes. The bag also contains 2 smaller, yet still sexy storage compartments located directly on the side of the large side compartments. These are subject to change slightly in appearance, but will continue to excel at holding cell phones, keys, snacks, and the like.

The crème de la crème of the Golf Mahal has yet to reveal itself however. In similar taste to that of the magical large side compartments, watch as my arm vanishes in the space located between the main compartment and the large side compartment. “Presto!” This is truly what makes the bag unique – what some might call a selling point, but what most have simply stated as, “NO WAY!” Yes folks, this supernatural space is designed for an umbrella, and not just some rolled up umbrella you might shove anywhere in any given pack, but to carry a fully deployed-stab-your-buddy-in-the-eye-umbrella – one that even walks along as you do!!!

When your playing a casual round and it starts raining you can pack your bags and go crying to your mommy, but when it’s tournament play it’s a different story. After playing in more than just a few tournaments in which it rained, I came to realize the shear necessity of keeping my discs dry so as not to spray moist disc every which way, and consequently the shear inadequacy of current bags on the market to accomplish this goal. So, here you have it, the first bag that will carry your umbrella overhead as you play. However, not only will the supernatural space carry your umbrella, it will also carry the 3-legged stool so many of us use while playing – an instrument that will in turn become essential in the quest for dryness. With the bag on the stool and the umbrella overhead, you can keep your discs and person dry while squatting underneath to make your disc selection or simply waiting for others to throw. No longer will you be entrenched in the sick, cyclical game of put-the-umbrella-down, pick-the-umbrella-up, while trying just to make a shot that doesn’t spray into the rough. Infomercial aside though, this really is going to change the way you experience tournament play, and for those that aren’t sissies, any play that involves a little of the elements.

Levi-for-Blog-955

The author ... with AMAZING chops to say the least!

My name is Levi Buckingham and I grew up in Bozeman, MT – a place most well known for its skiing, hiking, and climbing, but slightly less known for its’ disc golf and backpacks. Well I’m here to change that. Through the fortune, or perhaps misfortune, of growing up with Dana Gleason’s sons, Dana and Paul, I have locked and lucked into what I can say without a doubt is the best pack making company in the world. Luck also has it that I happen to be a disc golf junky, one of those held in the clutches of an ever growing sickness, and I want to see the sport prosper both in numbers and in gear development. We, disc golfers that is, need a pack that can compete with the disc technology that is growing at an exponential break-neck speed – a pack that goes beyond the padded lunch box design and incorporates the needs of professional athletes playing a diverse and complex sport at the professional level. The Golf Mahal is that answer.

This entry was posted in Dana DNA, Disc Golf, Mystery Ranch Employees, Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

19 Comments

1. bobby d
    Posted August 14, 2009 at 7:55 am | Permalink

Hell yah Levi, that bag is shweeeeet! Can’t wait to see it! Do you have any idea on what the price might be on such a Gem?

2. Doug Quam
    Posted August 14, 2009 at 9:13 am | Permalink

Levi, nice job!

3. Damien Hoffman
    Posted August 14, 2009 at 10:58 am | Permalink

I want this exact bag now! Well done Levi.

4. Tom Walker
    Posted August 15, 2009 at 4:52 am | Permalink

Looks like a mighty fine upper end addition to those who need or want a LARGE tournament dg bag. Good luck w/ the Golf Mahal. Whats the logo gonna look like?

5. Mark Matthews
    Posted October 10, 2009 at 9:09 am | Permalink

Bag looks great. Where can we get options and pricing information? I didn’t see anything on the Mystery Ranch site.

6. Brandon Bueter
    Posted October 19, 2009 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

How much is the disc golf bag going to run and if I read it right you can remove the side pockets?

7. Mark Seacat
    Posted October 20, 2009 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Brandon~

Here’s the skinny.

The bag will cost $285.
    Pre-orders will begin shipping in February 2010.
    Side Pockets aren’t removable.

FYI… If you want a first edition of one of Levi’s “Golf Mahal” bags, your best bet is to pre-order by calling the Sales Staff at Mystery Ranch at 406.585.1428. The bags will not be available via the website until early 2010.

8. Chris Wojciechowski
    Posted November 2, 2009 at 11:03 pm | Permalink

Wow. This thing is a DGer’s wet dream and all, but at $285… wow. For $150-175 I’d be down to buy, but man that number is a prohibitive amount of scratch. I’m sure they’ll sell, but man… that is a hell of an expense to try to justify for disc golf. Even with a lifetime warranty I could still get 2 Revo bags and then an Innova bag for that cost.

9. Ed Schroer
    Posted January 30, 2010 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

Just curious if there are any pictures of a bag with the possible changes you were talking about?
    I like that the side pouches are collapsible, but will it expand to handle an unneeded sweatshirt/rain gear?
    How much does one weigh (empty)?
    What colors?
    I like the umbrella holder.
    Do you make a matching umbrella? :) Just a thought.
    Are the inside seams bound (covered)?

Keep up the original ideas with a disc golf bag.

10. Philip Shelton
    Posted February 26, 2010 at 5:56 am | Permalink

I am the TD for the best Amateur disc golf event in the world, The USADGC at the famous Toboggan course in Michigan. We have 144 of the top am men’s players from all over the states and Canada, soon to expand all over the world. Discraft is my main sponsor and we cater to the players for 3-4 days. You can only get to our event via invitation. I am very interested in talking with you about anything we can do to promote your great bag. We are not as big, count wise, as Worlds but our prestige exceeds them. Worlds and the USADGC are the only “Major” events held. Hope to hear from you. Check out our site at amnationals.com.

Philip Shelton
    USADGC Td
    810-908-7464

11. solvej kudsk
    Posted March 5, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

Very very nice bag… Can’t wait to try it.
    Solvej from Denmark.

12. Mike McCubbin
    Posted March 11, 2010 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Just wondering how to go about ordering one of these great looking disc golf bags? Please let me know. I want to order ASAP so I can get it before the season kicks into high gear.

Thanks

Mike

13. Bob Cabal
    Posted March 17, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

Great looking bag it looks like everything a Disc Golfer would ever need. As part of the Beaver State Fling staff, I’d be very interested in talking with you. The Beaver State Fling is a PDGA National Tour event covering 3 days, May 28-30 at Milo McIver State Park in beautiful Estacada, Oregon. We have increased the field this year to 300 Pro players and will follow that with the Beaver State Fling Am Super Tour event the following weekend with a 160 player Am field.

Again, I’d love have a chance to speak with you.

Thanks,
    Bob Cabal
    Beaver State Fling
    Volunteer Coordinator

14. Jamz B
    Posted June 9, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

really nice bag but 285 is way up there

15. Mark Seacat
    Posted June 9, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

Jamz… as C.W. wrote before… it’s a “prohibitive amount of scratch”… but that’s what you get when you’re buying a bag made in the States with unparalleled craftsmanship and quality… Its got a LIFETIME warranty, it’ll be your last disc golf bag…for… EVER… oh wait… until you decide you need another one!

16. Robert Duck
    Posted July 20, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

I own and operate Alpha Players in Kentwood, MI and I would like to get this in on our shelves for re-sale, lets talk. e-mail me. I have a partner his name is Derek Boss he runs the store. This looks like a great product and I would be willing to advertise for it.
    Thanks for your time
    Robert Duck
    Owner Operator

17. matt mayfield
    Posted February 28, 2011 at 10:05 am | Permalink

I too ordered the Mahal after extensive research. I didn’t like the idea of spending 80 bucks plus on a bag.
    However, I figured I would if I wanted a bag that would keep up and not start to fray, tear after a season. I finally found the best price on a well-known, reputable bag for 65 bucks. Almost pulled the trigger, then somehow I was led to the Golf Mahal (by the grace of divine intervention, no doubt). The price had me cover my eyes, after much resistance I ever-so slightly gaped my fingers, peaked through and admired her body. After much time I finally pushed up my lower jaw from the floor and actually read about it, inspecting the pics and learning about Mystery Ranch- It then became a no-brainer.

Here are my personal reasons for droppin’ serious clams on a disc golf bag:

-Lifetime Guarantee
    -Mystery Ranch (great company- excellence in craftsmanship; Made in the States and takes care of
    their employees)
    -Hand Made
    -Set up for a hydration system.
    -Storage-I live in a region of four seasons with the occasional volatile storm thus the Mahal’s capability
    of storing weather-related gear (i.e.- rain gear, down vests/sweaters, wind breakers,
    emergency tube tent, snake bite kit, ham radio, zombie/crackhead deterrents)

-Great for those long and/or treacherous terrain courses (hello Diamond X)
    -Dual bottle reserves that are in easy reach while walking.
    -With the larger side compartments I can drop in small dry bags, add ice and beer- voila.
    -Collapsible side compartments for a more slender pack.
    -Conversation piece
    -Will never suffer any symptoms of DGBE-Disc Golf Bag Envy
    -Multi-uses-
    -I am a photographer- I can drop in temporary, removable cushions.
    -With the dynamics of the main compartment, coupled with the smaller ones- this unit will make
    an excellent picnic pack (drop in a small cooler).
    -Perfect as a shopping pack- especially when traveling.
    -Day pack for hiking

Well, that’s my excuse, and I am sticking to it.

18. Dustin Brooks
    Posted October 28, 2011 at 7:06 am | Permalink

What can’t be said about this bag. I am super stoked. The bag is put together very nice, I have never seen zippers this nice. I purchased this bag with the intent of buying the Grip Eq at a later date as Im on the waiting list. I doubt I will be buying one now. Its super light weight and comfortable, I feel like a rockstar, and I know I have the coolest bag in DFW. Also, what really impressed me. The customer service. A company can have a great product but with poor service, I cut my losses and miss out on what I enjoy. Kenzie was absolutely amazing, I called him at the crack of dawn, he was pleasant, awake and curtious as all get out. He got the bag I wanted and worked at my pace and convenience. I work in customer service, and I hope that even fifty percent of my customers can have the experience I had with this guy on the phone. He remembered me between conversations, was patient and I got the bag quick. I have to say it was like Christmas for the three whole days it took to get here. I really expected it would take a week or two. When he told me it would be here by Tuesday I was shocked, ended up getting here on Wednesday. Props Kenzie, props to the makers and designers of this bag. I have not been this excited about my game in along time.

19. Dustin Brooks
    Posted October 28, 2011 at 7:22 am | Permalink

Too if yall can add this please do, if not no biggy. But seems on most the reviews in researching this bag. Price was an issue. Ok I have spent hundreds of dollars on a stick golf bag before, no problem because everyone does. I like disc golf way more. I have never seen luggage this nice and my family is loaded. 300 dollars, divide that by 20-25. We are talking 12-15 discs…. For the coolest, toughest bag out there. I spent a hundred on my discarrier and dual straps and have gone thru three of them. They are functional but not comfortable. I had actually went back to a single strap small bag with like 7-8 discs. Now I can carry a ton and for those days I want to take some plastic with me for sale or trade. I got it. I have the disc for every shot every time. On the days I want to go swimming for discs, I have room to pack them all out. I have had 6 bags in total in ten years and spent more than fifty on half of them. Had I made this purchase ten years ago, I wouldn’t have a stack of bags in the closet. I have had nearly 400 discs. With plastic ranging 8-30$/disc. 300 was really a no brainer. You know what, things were tight for a day or two, guess what, Im not worried about it. I make 8$ an hour and would have no problem spending 400 on this bag had I seen it in person. Me and my friends arent rich, we have all spent a hundred in one day splurging on plastics. This is a lifetime piece of equipment that helps me exercise and keeps my head sane. Serenity is priceless. 300$…. Not 3000, 300. Change is the big scare here, once people get used to spending the money on a nice bag 300 dollars wont be such a big deal. People, do yourselfs a favor and get one today. If your still lucky enough to be able to. Last I heard there was only three more till next production. I seriously believe I could buy this bag and resale it for a profit, its that nice.